BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, July 10, 2010

My Stance


I realize, looking back over my past posts, I really have only made a few of my belief's clear. I have bashed
religion and ignorance, encouraged individuality in both of the linked posts. I have also spouted ridiculously cheesy B.F. stories. In addition I have had quite a few problems with "Andys", and more "Andys." (Maybe it is because I had my Pokemon cards stolen by an Andy in 2nd grade...Who knows??)
I have done these things, but I haven't really shown where I stand in allot of issues. So, without further a-due, "My Stance"

Indoctrination: One of the greatest evil's of our time. It seems so strange to me that Christianity claims that the entity that embodies evil, aka "The Devil/Satan/Lucifer/Glen Beck" tried to take away free will, and force us to choose "The Right." (See, told you Satan was a republican extremist!!) Yet, these religions do something almost completely similar! I admit, there is no 100% loss of choice, but if you have been indoctrinated from birth to believe something without much doubt, and are in a community setting like those seen in Utah, or Idaho there is almost nothing you wouldn't do to avoid that shame, and public loss of status. (Contend if you will, but I KNOW, just as many of you KNOW that your religion is correct, that religion should be for 18+ and that morals are the thing that should be fostered before that.)
Mark Twain: "Surely the ass who invented the first religion ought to be the first ass damned Faith is believing in that which I know ain't so." Because I love the Quote, I will forgive the use of "ain't."

The Mormon Church: Wow, major mixed feelings...On one hand I love it like a family because of the wonderful things it has done for my family, and in some ways for me. It has given me a good set of morals(...that I...might...just toss away for any passing man with facial hair... :D ), given me some AMAZING friends, fostered a belief that hope has power, and helped me find out who I am and what things are worth fighting for. On the opposite hand, the stifling expectations, religious ultimatums, homophobia, racism, and most unpardonable Ignorance lead me (And obviously many, many others) to periods of depression, self loathing, suicide attempts, and bitterness towards all that the church stands for. I will say that the Mormon church has done much more good than bad, but I refuse to forgive and forget, because you can never truly forgive, the original offence will ALWAYS play a part in how you interact with said offender, and to forget is to return to ignorance concerning a person, which is impossible, and idealistic at best.
David O. McKay “Although, I do not care much for a negro, still I have a warm spot in my heart for those beautiful singers.” Try switching "Negro" for "Homo" and picture Kurt on Glee...Funny how that works...

Homosexuality: This has really changed over the years...I can honestly say that at this moment (And hopefully until I die) I love it, I would not change it, and that it is one of the greatest sources of happiness in my life. In is NOT unnatural, it is NOT wrong, it is NOT a sin, it is NOT a perversion, and it is NOT a choice. Here is a link proving the first which has a list of nearly 200 species of mammals where homosexuality is prevalent. There is no 100% positive evidence for proving whether it is wrong or right, because morals are dependent upon each individual. Here is some evidence supporting that it is good for people, and leads to happier lives at least in the case of gay marriage, and civil unions. It is not a sin, I firmly believe this, because in all honesty I don't believe in the concept of sin. There is good, there is bad, there is not in my mind a mental compartment where those bad things are tallied and considered sin. In remote villages in Africa, cannibalism is encouraged and not considered a "sin" by those who commit it, yet people who have never tried it, or have any divine proof in it's evil see themselves fit to deem it sin. In addition, though it may sound cliche, love is not a sin, no matter the form in regards to sexuality. It is not a perversion. Perversion is defined by Webster as: "a concept describing those types of human behavior that are a serious deviation from what is considered to be orthodox or normal." Is it really a deviation from normalcy to look for happiness? If used is a strict sense in opposition to homosexuality, this would be used to back a statement like "If it wasn't a major deviation from normalcy than more people would do this, so it must be a perversion!!!" In rebuttal, "human behavior" is ill defined, COMPLETELY theoretical, and contradictory. It is "normal" to be catholic in the Vatican, therefore it is a perversion to be Mormon there, in a society of people with brown eyes in 90% of people, blue and green eyes are a perversion, it is "normal" to be black in Africa, therefore white is the true perversion there, it is "normal" in San Fransisco to be gay, therefore heterosexuality is the perversion there. You may have noticed that I used examples of things determined at birth, I.E. skin color, eye color, and sexual orientation I used these, because in the case of the definition, historically those things were, and in the case of sexuality still are, perceived as a choice in many religious groups. If it was a choice, why would anyone choose it?? Why would anyone choose to be hated, feared, disrespected, abandoned by friends and family, rejected by society, humiliated, hurt, and be subjected to hate crimes?? The answer, they wouldn't...
The National Mental Health Association has said, and stands by the statement that "Most researchers believe sexual orientation is complex, and that biology plays an important role. This means that many people are born with their sexual orientation, or that it's established at an early age"

Gay marriage: In essence I believe that it is a matter of equality. Opponents of it say that it will "Destroy the family" or that somehow, when the definition changes, so will the significance. This is so ridiculous it hurts. This is religion saying that they are being persecuted for standing by their faiths...the strange thing about that is that the "standing" is usually on the backs of minorities.
It is a matter of equality, everyone deserves the love, and the responsibility that comes with the sealing of vows. After all the Hallmark indoctrinated wedding fervor, and the numberless chick flicks we all love to watch so very, very much...how can we settle? I don't know about you, but my happy ending does include a beautiful white wedding, and I will fight for that. I firmly believe that the true reason that most religious groups that are against gay marriage are in the position, because they do not want gay's to be legitimized, thus rendering them bigots for their beliefs, and their stance on the issue in the public eye. This is a reasonable fear, because they WILL be seen as bigots, "it" is coming, and in that I rejoice.

(They are sooooo cute :D )
Pursuing a Homosexual life: Do it, you will have your fair share of regrets, but you will have more joy than I believe you could through any other medium. Deep down, I really believe that we all just want to be held, and to hold, and we deserve the security, the happiness, and the love that will truly complete us. Never give up when you get knocked down. One of the main reasons I got mad at the first (and probably the same "Andy" who's comments I deleted on the fireside post) "Andy" was because he had a bad experience, and decided to base his life around it. It is just as likely to happen in a heterosexual relationship, and giving up just shows how weak of a person you are. Anyone reading, who has opposing views, or feels like I have "wronged" them...Too bad... Like I have said before, don't sacrifice your life for an eternity defined by those with a limited understanding. And have a really great day.
-BHG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Who visited lil' ol' me